Other Radio Hobbies
Report #062 12/14/07
U.S. ARMY SIGNAL INTELLIGENCE
In 1942 the U.S. Army established a major intercept facility on an old farm and it was called Vint Hill Farms Station. At the time the Army COMINT organization was known as the Signal Intelligence Service (SIS). In 1942 the organization underwent several name changes, going from SIS to Signal Security Division (SSD), then to Signal Security Service (SSS) and then to Signal Security Agency (SSA).
In September 1945 the name was again changed, this time to Army Security Agency (ASA). The Vint Hill Farms site continued active but in 1948 and 1949 air related components were transferred from ASA to the newly formed Air Force Security Service. Also in 1949 the ASA school at Vint Hill Farms was moved to Carlisle Barracks, PA. Then in 1950 the school was again moved and placed at Fort Devons, MA. Various other components were phased out of Vint Hill Farms leaving a R & D function which remained there for an unknown period of time. Many ASA functions were transferred to a new joint-service organization, Armed Forces Security Agency (AFSA). In 1952 AFSA became NSA and in 1957 NSA moved into its new permanent Hqs at Ft. Meade, MD. The Vint Hill Farms activity was associated with U.S. Army Signal Intelligence efforts and therfe is no indication the site was used for Spy Numbers operations.
DIGITAL SIGNAL DECODING (See Report #061)
End of Report
©2007 Don Schimmel.